Life is full of new experiences. From our learning how to tie our shoes to starting our first full-time job to getting married. New experiences sometimes mean big changes. These things get me excited (usually) and bringing people close to me along on adventures that turn out to be their first experiences excites me more 🙂
This past week my husband and I were able to travel to his first experience on my family’s 4-wheeling trip to the Black Hills. We had quite an exciting time! I am blessed to be married to a man who loves the outdoors, can talk guns with the best of them and knows how to handle a 4-wheeler. To sum up our time:
- he learned how much I need someone to get me unstuck (which seems to be a recurring event each year in the Hills)
- we discovered some new trails together
- enjoyed time riding with my brother and his friend then Dad and Mom
- we laughed our heads off one night in the campground due to Mom calling holsters stirrups and then me thinking of spurs as stirrups (its quite the story)
- we prayed like crazy while searching for a lost camouflage wallet
- playing SKIP-BO at night under Dad & Mom’s cabin with Cheetos equals fun competition and weird stories
- motorcycle riding in the Hills is fun, and my oldest brother will testify to that (along with our SKIP-BO buddies)
- chasing geese while doing the “flightless eagle” looks silly and throwing stones is a bad example (or good, depending on which way the geese are walking and who you ask) for little girls
- drought = no campfire (so sad) and lots of dust…which usually means we look like dust bunnies at the end of the day. totally worth it!
So I think I probably forgot many more countless, exciting moments! But, I just wanted to share that new experiences can give us joy, teach us new lessons, help us grow closer to those already close to us and give us great stories to share with our kids one day!
“Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Here’s a few photos to capture our first trip together to the Black Hills. We had a wonderful time. We’ve already had almost a full year of new experiences together as a husband and wife…and are looking forward to more to come!